If you have had eczema for some time now you have probably seen or heard of corticosteroids, or used Corticosteroids to lessen your outbreaks. However, there are also quite a lot of eczema sufferers who will not touch corticosteroids for fear of unwanted side effects – and others who just keep away from any sort of drugs and prefer holistic therapies entirely.
So what is the bottom line? Lets take a look …
What Are Corticosteroids?
Corticosteroids are a type of steroid, but not the muscle building kind. They are regularly topical, in that they are put on the skin directly to make them do their work. These are lab made creams and ointments that come in a variety of strengths, but most dermatologists only prescribe the lowest strength of them to keep away from the variety of side effects.
Do Corticosteroids Work?
In short, they do. Cortisteroids are powerful anti-inflammation medicines that when applied to your inflamed skin can to a great extent lower this, bring you more relaxation and hasten along eczema recuperation. There is a time and place for this medication as it does create positive results under controlled conditions.
What Are The Side Effects?
This is where corticosteroids fall down, there are a huge number of potential side effects from taking this drug and so it can be a worry for many eczema sufferers. Such side effects include:
* Cataracts – That happens when it is used near the eyes
* Glaucoma – regular use of the drug again near the eyes can cause this
* Gastrointestinal effects – Such problems as indigestion can be found form use of this drug
* Growth retardation – in children
* Hypertension – high blood pressure has been linked to these drugs
* Osteoporosis – The lowering of bone density is an issue mainly for women but also for some men
* Skin effects- stretch marks, viens showing – thinner skin and more
* Weight gain – from an appetite increase but also water and fluid retention can cause this too
* Infection; skin rashes and irritation; skin thinning; and formation of dilated blood vessels
As you can now fathom, this is not a pleasant list and whilst most people do not suffer from these ailments, a large number of people can develop some of these problems with regular use.
So if corticosteroids look too dangerous for you, and you would favor a solution that has long term positive changes to stop flare ups forever – not just curing the current crop of symptoms – click below to learn more about a Natural eczema remedies that can help you put an end to eczema.
People that are searching for more information about lose weight fast, make sure to visit the URL which is quoted in this paragraph.